Dr. Julia Everitt is a post-doctoral Research Assistant in the Centre for the Study of Practice and Culture in Education at Birmingham City University. Julia has worked in education since 2003 in roles including a FE lecturer, community learning manager and local authority commissioner (with 15 schools). During this time, Julia worked on a range of policy initiatives (e.g. Essential Skills and Every Child Matters).
Julia undertook a MA in Education (2008-2011) and then a Doctorate in Education (2012-2018) which investigated education to community partnerships, with regard to how these are enacted through policies and interact to tackle disadvantage.
In 2014, Julia decided to focus on a research career and sought out part-time research positions alongside her doctorate. She worked for the University of Warwick and Staffordshire University between 2014-2017.
Her thesis findings (around careers) led Julia to a post-doctoral researcher position in iCeGS at the University of Derby between 2017-2019. There Julia worked on externally funded projects for clients including the Department for Education, the Edge Foundation and the Careers & Enterprise Company.
In 2019, Julia moved to Birmingham City University where she is involved in research projects which are funding both internally and externally. Julia has a focus on horizon scanning and tender writing and is supporting other researcher around this. Julia is the project manager of an evaluation of the Professional Exchange Networks for the Education and Training Foundation (ETF). Julia contributes to teaching on the PG Cert in Research Practice and supervises five doctoral students.
Research Interests: Community to Education Partnerships, Researcher Development, Creative Research Methods, Adult and Community Learning, Applied Research.
- Everitt, J. (2019) 'Essays on employer engagement in education: by A. Mann, P. Huddleston and E. Kashefpakdel, Abingdon, Routledge, 2019, 240 pp., £36.99 (paperback), ISBN 9780367232146', British Journal of Guidance & Counselling, [online], DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/03069885.2019.1705245
- Burke, C., Neary, S., Hanson, J., Parker, G., Everitt, J. & Clark, L. (2019) Supporting Service Children in School: An Organisational Improvement Framework. Derby: International Centre for Guidance Studies.
- Hanson, J., Vigurs, K., Moore, N., Everitt. J. & Clark, L. (2019) Gatsby careers benchmark north east implementation pilot: interim evaluation (2015-2017). Derby: University of Derby.
- Vigurs, K., Jones, S., Everitt, J. & Harris, D. (2018) 'Graduate gap years: Narratives of postponement in graduate employment transitions in England' in Burke, C. & Christie, F. (eds.) Graduate Careers in Context Research, Policy and Practice, Abingdon: Routledge.
- O’Connell, S. & Everitt, J. (2010) Extended Schools: A guide to making it work. London: Continuum.